24 June 2008

More Recent George Carlin

Shame that so few people in the UK had heard of George Carlin. Especially odd since Bill Hicks is so well known here (better than in the US I think). Sure, every obit focused on the "7 words", but when I think of Carlin, I think not only of the Class Clown era ("...but then it crosses the international date line!!"), not only the funny-because-true observations ("Everyone who drives slower than me is an idiot, everyone who drives faster than me is a maniac"), but also the guy who remained crotchety (in a smart way, not a get-off-my-lawn way) right to the end, such as George talking about bullshit, and the American Dream

1 comment:

JustJoeP said...

I caught an HBO special, George's last one last night. His closing bit about "human rights" being a fairy tale was beautiful. Dressed in black form head to toe, I could see - for the first time - how really Old he looked this year. HBO did a lovely montage of George from the 70s up to present day. 71 is not young, and though I am sad we won't hear new material from him, he's produced volumes to be cherished for generations to come.