16 June 2008

Comets, Catfish, and Carp

Speaking of hobbies, we've setup 3 fishtanks this year. Started with a small coldwater tank and a larger freshwater tropical tank. Had to upgrade the "goldfish" [does not contain any actual goldfish] tank, and the little tank now has a plant and a small pleco in it. Each tank has a resident pleco. I love the prehistoric look of them. The one in the warm tank is almost big enough to eat now. The surprise for me was how much I enjoy the coldwater fish. The warmwater fish are nice to look at, and I especially like the cherry barbs, but they lack the personality of the comets and carp. They are really entertaining -- active, congenial, comical. A lot of fun. They seem smarter than the other fish, too. Maybe I'm imagining that.

(Although for sheer surprise, the snail in the warm tank takes the cake. He is more active than many of the fish. He moves really, really quickly when no one is looking. I sometimes catch him perched on top of a reedy plant. Imagine a bison hunched atop a tall sapling.)

1 comment:

JustJoeP said...

fishy, fishy, fishy, who's got... the fishy?