24 June 2008

Captain Helpful: rechargeable batteries

Last year I got serious about using rechargeable batteries at home and it's working out really well. The key is a good charger, one that won't cook your batteries. I'm using a charger from Ansmann (one with a fan to cool the batteries for fast charging, and has a switch to handle either NiCd or NiMH), and Ansmann NiMH batteries as well (2700 mAh AAs and 1000 mAh AAAs). For all our remotes, game controllers, etc, we go through these quite a lot. I'm working my way up now to replace flashlight batteries with rechargeables, trying to get to 100%.

2 comments:

JustJoeP said...

I got on a gaussian kick 2 years ago, and got my family those hall effect "shakable" flashlights, that use no batteries. I used to think they were great, but it IS annoying to have to vigorously shake the flashlight for 2 minutes before the LED gets bright enough to use.

Thanks for the tip Captain Helpful!

pyker said...

It would make more sense to have a human-powered recharger, wouldn't it?