27 November 2009

Mixed Milk Message

I used to be able to get raw fresh milk from a guy with a herd of Guernseys who sold at the old Islington farmer's market. Not sure if he's still around, but it was a real treat. I loved it.

I just picked up some (pasteurized) whole milk from Jerseys & Guernseys. The product copy on the website rightly describes the higher-fat virtues of the milk from these cows, using terms such as "rich taste and creamy texture", "better levels of fat, protein, and calcium", "Higher levels of Fat". It has just over 5% fat compared with 4% for normal whole milk.

So what does the copy on the carton itself brag about? "95% fat-free!"

1 comment:

JustJoeP said...

I have adapted my label interpretation to do the inverse, considering the vast majority of lemmings who run away from fat. "95% fat free" - in my interpretation states proudly "5% pure fat" =) Always take the 1/X view point when looking at consumer labels.