07 November 2009

Ice Cream w/o Sugar

A few weeks ago I made another variation on hyperlipid's optimal ice cream. Over the summer I'd tried maple walnut. This time I tried chocolate sour cream: 1 cup heavy cream, 1 cup sour cream, 1 tsp vanilla, 6 egg yolks, pinch of salt, and a bit over 4 oz. 70% chocolate. No sugar other than what was in the chocolate, which wasn't much. It was good. "Normal" people liked it a lot, but with sweet chocolate sauce or on chocolate cake. I liked it as is. It was not sweet at all. I have a great weakness for ice cream -- I can eat huge amounts when it's available, and if it's in the house, I pretty much have to eat it until it's gone. But takeaway the sugar and suddenly I can't eat as much. Very interesting. I could never eat the whole batch of the chocolate sour cream ice cream as it was. If I'd added a cup of sugar (yes, a cup! that's what an average chocolate ice cream recipe for my maker calls for), I bet I could've eaten a lot more.

4 comments:

zim said...

very interesting how your body is self-regulating the low-sugar ice cream.

looks like a great recipe; we're intending to pick up an ice cream maker so we can make our own as well.

also, after my somewhat sugar-laden jaunt through Spain, i'm now re-acclimating to the dark chocolate. finally, 70% is tasting too-sugary to me again.

pyker said...

Yeah, it's nothing new -- it's been demonstrated before that's it's extremely difficult to coerce people to overeat on just protein + fat -- but to prove it to myself the impact of 1 variable, sugar, on overeating, was illuminating.

maxcat said...

We don't even keep it around for the same reason. One pint = one meal. This looks very interesting however.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20091110/sc_livescience/researchersplanicecreamthatsgoodforyou

pyker said...

Ice cream w/ supplements? That is goofy.