21 March 2010

Conditioning Upkeep & Decline

Per plan, I've scaled way back on the running this year after a hugely gratifying New Year's Day 10k race. I've stuck with weight training, not as often as I'd like, given demands of the new job, but usually hitting my 3x/wk target. My strength has measurably improved. I've not been able to run at least once a week as hoped, but have gotten out occasionally. It's surprising how rapidly sport-specific fitness declines, in particular endurance. Thirteen weeks ago I put in a 22k run, but now I wouldn't be able to get close to that. Interestingly, my pace is still ok. I just did a short tempo run, covering just over 6k in 30 minutes. But the ability to sustain that same pace for a further 60 or even 30 minutes is gone.

2 comments:

zim said...

what are your thoughts on the recent running posts (example) @ PaNu?

pyker said...

I think he's right. Confirms what I've noticed about serious runners. I run because I enjoy it and because of the mental health benefits. Even running 3x week, my training volumes were nowhere near the levels of the people in studies such as that. But even if I'm on the wrong side of optimal for oxidative stress, I'd keep doing it for the mental reasons. Which is not really at odds with what Kurt has said on the matter.