20 March 2010

Anniversary Dinner

Second time I've been to Boundary, and it was even better than the first time. Just a fantastic meal! Started with oysters: english rocks, french rocks, english natives. All fine, but the english natives were winners by knockout. Then sauteed foie gras, lovingly seared in butter and served with some poached rhubarb, with just enough sweetness and sharpness to offset the rich, silky indulgence of the perfectly cooked liver. My mains was trotter, sweetbreads, and morels -- pig's foot magically slow-cooked to leave everything fork-tender but still full of rich porky flavor, stuffed with sweetbreads and complimented by morels in a reduction sauce. Dessert was St. Emilion au Chocolat, which was like the richer, denser, tastier, smarter, over-achieving cousin of a dark chocolate mousse. They even got the espresso right. Heartily recommended.

7 comments:

JJ said...

My rhubarb souffle with nameless ice cream was amazing, too. As was the turbot with hollandaise sauce and green salad. They do green salads really well there, yum.

Your foie gras was amazing, I agree!

zim said...

congrats!

JustJoeP said...

Sounds yummy. I'm delighted you two could get out for a happy anniversary. I wish their website had a wine list!

Rick said...

Damn, I'm jonesing for oysters now.

Current rave dish: bruised kale with pureed fava beans and shaved peccorino. At this deprived cusp of spring, the body demands greens, dammit.

pyker said...

Sounds good. I need to get to the market for sprouting broc.

JJ said...

As long as we don't go to The Narrow for the purple (or not) sprouting broccoli... was it The Narrow?

pyker said...

No, it was the Gun where I got in the fight with the chef.