05 January 2010

Weight Training

As I said in my health review a couple days ago, I'm a big believer in resistance training for anti-aging and all-around health effects. Whether it's pushups & chinups & dips at home, or hitting the barbells with Mark Rippetoe, or joining the crossfitologists, some kind of weight training is recommended for everyone, regardless of age or gender. I'm on week 6 of a new weight-training program. Since I'd previously been impressed with the research of Jeff Volek, I decided to give "tnt" a try. So far, I love it. Seems right up my alley. The diet advice in the book was old hat, but useful if you've never seen it before. I especially like the differentiated approaches based on starting state and goals -- very helpful. The actual exercise selection seems very thoughtful and part of a coherent plan. I also enjoy the nutritional timing suggestions.

3 comments:

JustJoeP said...

an added narcissistic benefit, with low body fat combined with weight training, is the prevalence of veins that appear to "pop out" with even minimal training. When I was a puffy 25 year old, I could and would never see a vein. Phlebotomists struggled to find a good stick on me. Now I do 37 lb curls, and my arms are popping everywhere. Even my son commented on it on his recent visit.

Weight training is a good thing.

JustJoeP said...

looks like you've been comment spammed!

pyker said...

(tidied up)