04 January 2010

Coffee w/ Cream

My one-man crusade to get cream back on the menus at cafes is going pretty well. Almost every place I've asked has been able to dig out some honest cream for my coffee, except the one coffee stand at which the barista looked at me as if I'd asked for a bowl of live grubs to spoon into the brew. Cream in coffee??!? Craziest request ever. This being the UK, a lot of places have cream about for desserts, which is a civilized practice if ever there was one.

It used to be that cream was the norm, then "half & half", aiming to be a blend of whole milk and cream, was added for a "lighter" option. Then the set got downgraded to half & half and milk, and so on, until now if you have two choices they are usually between semi-skimmed and skimmed.

Here there's a wonderful thing known as double cream. Yes, it's what you'd think. Delicious stuff. Ordered some as usual but the online grocer substituted, shockingly, with something branded "Elmlea double", boasting that it's "light". It is a horrendous product. Nevermind that I can't figure out who this product is for (I always thought that lower-fat cream is something that I like to call "milk"), check out the ingredients: it's a blend of buttermilk and trans-fats! Want some hydrogenated veg oil in your coffee?

2 comments:

JustJoeP said...

mmmmm what a delicious oil slick it can provide! Reminiscent of the Cap'n Crunch Ingredients I used to wolf down in college.

Grubs! you crack me up! LOL!

zim said...

ew.