09 January 2010

Blackberry

Improbably, I'd managed to avoid having to use a blackberry despite years of my white collar peers being tethered to them. A few years ago a survey at a former employer showed that remote access (being able to access work from a home computer) was roundly viewed as very positive for "work-life balance", whereas blackberrys were voted to be overwhelmingly negative. Remote access lets you reach out to work on your terms, whereas blackberrys let work reach out to you.

Sadly, my blackberry-free days ended this past week. I am shocked at how ugly these things are, despite several generations of iterations. Utilitarian is no excuse. What a cloddy piece of kit. Even the icons are bad. Horrid little pieces of shit, aren't they?

5 comments:

zim said...

gardening leaving is over, then?

pyker said...

gardening leave (as in absence), yes, all done

JustJoeP said...

I abhor Dr Desert Flower's BB - but it's web browsing features when traveling have been convenient. No need for directory assistance, or a Garmin, or mapquest, when the BB can find a signal.

harveyne said...

Actually, they were great until they started trying to be "smartphones"

The entire user interface revolved around the thumbwheel and it was both intuitive and fast. The keys were small but well spaced - which meant that you could be very accurate when typing with your thumbs. It all went wrong when they simultaneously ditched the side wheel for a central trackball and expanded the keys until they all touched and you couldn't feel them properly any more.

The whole point of the BB was to be an email and calendar machine and that was it. While they stayed focussed, they were untouchable. Now they're intent on being second rate iPhones.

Until I started typing, I had no idea how passionate I was on this topic.

Anyway, make sure you turn off the incoming email alert and you should be fine.

pyker said...

I can see how a wheel and a keyboard I could actually use would be better. I still hate mine.