01 January 2010

Fueled By Fat: 10K PR

Just ran a 10k race this morning and shattered by old personal record (47:30) with an official time of 44:17. Unofficially (i.e. by my watch, starting not at the gun but when I actually crossed the start line), I finished in 43:59. So I'm declaring victory and saying that I've run my age (43). Had steak for dinner last night, and a few carbs at new years eve parties. Being out until 1:30 was not ideal race prep, but oh well. Just a very little bit of protein this morning and some coffee. No oatmeal, no pasta, no carbo-loading, no sugar-water. I negative split, out in 22:48, back closer to 21. Fast race, nice runners, with entries limited to keep the field from being huge. I finished 101st out of 458 finishers, 19th out of 56 in my age group. (Before I get too full of myself, let me check the winners' times.... 33:59 in my age group, 30:23 overall.) Was a beautiful race in Hyde park, very well organized. Very cold (right at freezing), but sunny. Lovely.

update: the nice people at the Serpentine Running Club published the chip-to-chip times in addition to the official gun-to-chip times, confirming my 43:59 time :-)

6 comments:

zim said...

wow, nice time. how close are those splits to your 5k PR?

pyker said...

Thanks. My PR for 5k had been 21:27, almost exactly 5 weeks ago. By my watch, my 2nd 5k this morning was 21:11.

JustJoeP said...

I do like the "before I get too full of myself" =) .. but congratulations my friend, on your personal best!

JustJoeP said...

I did a 4 hour hike, fuel on 1 banana - for the proactive pectin, not the carbs. =) Finished 3 lbs lighter than I started.

Ain't it a good feeling? =)

7 hours later, Traci made pork chops with yams, sweet potatoes, apples and pears, baked into the fat & juices ... mmmmm .. I think I put on 2 or the 3 lbs, but that's fine. Now that I've kicked carbs & ALL grains, hunger is banished, chez moi.

pyker said...

It's nice not to go into a gnawing-at-the-pit-of-the-stomach hunger every few hours, even during periods of high activity, isn't it?

JustJoeP said...

nice? It is un-real, and amazingly wonderful! As my wife, about the Mr Hyde / Dr Jekyll effect such things have had on me over the last 2 decades!

And actually, I awakened this morning, the exact same weight as I was post-hike yesterday. Pork & yams & wine replenished what the hike depleted, I suppose.