28 March 2011

Buckwheat

I tried Stephan Guyenet's buckwheat suggestion. It worked out well, very easy. I soaked it for 24 hours (including some "rice water" in the soak), rinsed, and pureed it with just a little bit of water to get the consistency of hummus. I did not wait for any fermentation at this point, just fried up some thick pancakes in plenty of butter and a bit of salt. They were good. Had some plain and some with chunks of unpasteurized stichelton. I also took a small amount of it, and whipped it with an egg and a bit of cream to make a very thin batter. For these I used less butter and cooked them much thinner to make something a bit like primitive galettes. I had one with ham and melted cheese. Good and savory. Someone else in the family may have had hers with honey.

2 comments:

JustJoeP said...

"unpasteurized stichelton" - is there pasteurized stichelton?

I know for the French cheeses, across the channel, none of them are pasteurized, all well controlled and regulated, and have been making safe cheese for centuries.

All the hullabaloo in the US about "unpasteurized cheese" amuses me.

pyker said...

I don't know. Is "unpasteurized" part of the definition of stichelton?

I am skeptical of the claim that all french cheeses are unpasteurized.

I completely agree the US idiocy around dairy products regulations is just embarrassing.