13 April 2009

Small Rituals

I completed my newest small ritual of season-change today, the ritual of the ski boots: remove liner from boot, remove insole from liner, let dry completely over several days or a week, then reassemble, close clasps loosely, and stow somewhere dark and dry for the rest of the year. It's not exactly druids at stonehenge on the solstice, but nonetheless I do find it sad and satisfying in roughly equal measure (in very small ways, both, but still a comfort of sorts).

3 comments:

JustJoeP said...

moisture management... something that used to be near and dear to my heart in the humid SE US also. Here in AZ, the drying time would be less than an hour. I've taken to hanger drying many clothes now a days, instead of dryer-drying them. A 10% RH really works marvelously.

We have 6 ft long Chinese scrolls here, that hang on the wall, one for each season. I do need to put up the green themed one, and put away the snow covered scene. Thanks for the reminder!

KnuckleSplitter said...

My snowboard boot ritual:

- Forget it and leave boots in back of Jeep - laces flailing everywhere and all. Footbed and liners remain as taken off feet after 8 hours of climbing/riding/drinking.
- Girlfriend complains about smell in Jeep.
- 1+ day(s) passes
- Girlfriend demands I do something about smell in Jeep
- 1+ day(s) passes.
- I move boots to closet from Jeep
- 1+ day(s) passes.
- Girlfriend complains about smell in Jeep. I blame dog.
-1+ day(s) passes.
- Girlfriend complains about smell in closet.
- 1+ day(s) passes.
- I go up in the hills and cycle starts over.

This happens from November through June for me. In good years - Oct. thru July.

Small rituals indeed...

pyker said...

Nice. My snowboard boots used to develop their own ecosystem much more rapidly than my ski boots do.