18 January 2009

More Pointless NFL-related Thoughts While Watching The Playoffs

Kurt Warner does the falling-down handoff a lot. I think it's a designed play. I call it the stumblerooski.

When even the British commentator points out that you shouldn't leave the best offensive player* in single-coverage, you should fire your defensive coordinator.**

Announcers should be fined. The league loves fining players. They should start fining announcers, beginning with $10,000 for every utterance of "third and manageable". As far as I can tell, Peyton Manning once used that phrase when talking to John Madden, who reacted as if Manning had simultaneously solved cold fusion, invented a time-travel pen, and shared his secret chocolate chip cookie recipe. So Madden proceeded to use it 15-30 times per game, and now every announcer works it into the broadcast. Often. Begin the fines. Please.



*Larry Fitzgerald, who scored approximately 9 million points last week, and has already had 3 touchdowns against the Eagles, whose halftime "adjustments" should be to fire everyone, except that, like last weekend, I've got money on the Cards.

**[UPDATED] Egads! I jinxed it. Philadelphia has certainly adjusted, and are destroying AZ now in the second half. Oops.***

***[UPDATED [again]]: Hey, the Cards pulled it off. I win! Wonder if McNabb is done in Philly.

3 comments:

JustJoeP said...

I had the same * and ** reactions as I watched! I love the announcer fining idea. I think the only good announcers are the home town radio announcers, who KNOW their teams, and who express their home town bias openly and exuberantly. These national boobs are better left off on MUTE.

zim said...

the Warner/Fitzgerald combo does leave this Steelers fan a little nervous.

in the Superbowl, i predict either 1) Fitzgerald will score 4 touchdowns, or 2) will be held to fewer than 40 yards.

i thought both championship games were pretty darn good.

pyker said...

Agreed on radio guys. I like Tom Thayer for Bears coverage.

I'm looking forward to the superbowl. I have no guess how it's going to turn out.