19 April 2011

Non-Disposable Furniture

As I age, gracefully, into a transcendent state of wisdom and grace, I find comfort in the idea of things outlasting me. It's getting harder and harder for me to buy furniture that probably won't outlast me. I hate disposable furniture. Good furniture is expensive, even really simple pieces, if they are solid and built with joinery rather than hex bolts and staples. So pulling the trigger today on a couple of small tables and chairs was painful, but I feel better for having done it. I'll feel even better if they're still on active duty into their second or third decade.

2 comments:

JustJoeP said...

High Quality furniture is getting extremely hard to find in the US - even the stuff made in North Carolina is dumbing down it's raw materials and assembly techniques. I credit it to the dumbing down of the American consumer and populous in general. Is it difficult to find high quality furniture in the UK?

pyker said...

It's expensive, but it's not hard to find here if that's what you're after. There's also plenty of good old furniture available. The quality new furniture seems mostly made in some small shops in the UK and France.