13 December 2009

Skiing

I love skiing. I'm very late to winter sports. (Winter itself is nothing new, having grown up with the long, cold, snowy midwestern variety.) I first started learning to snowboard at age 37, 6 years ago. I was terrible at it. I loved being up in the mountains and greatly enjoyed the holidays, but after years of still being crap at the sport I decided to try skiing. Starting in January of 2008, 41 now, I launched myself at the skiing attempt. To my surprise I was much less incompetent at it than boarding. By the end of my second season I was pretty comfortable, if graceless, on a lot of the mountain, and really enjoying the pistes. Now I'm starting my third season looking forward to more improvement.

Like a lot of sports, skiing is one in which having the skill lets you take it as easy or push yourself as hard as you want. It can be hard work in any condition before the skills are there, but once they are, you can cruise pretty much forever. In the alps, I've seen and met quite a few senior citizens still out there gliding down the slopes. Their rugby days are over, certainly, but they're still out there skiing.

A more geeky pleasure of skiing is the technology to get you up the mountain. The engineers really get to flaunt. Not only are mechanisms of lifts and gondolas and cable cars usually exposed, but they almost always clearly post facts and figures -- weight, capacity, throughput, speed, thickness/strength of cabling, etc. I'd love to see this more commonly practiced around machinery of other types. I suspect these lift designers have a competitive streak. There's no real explanation for, say, the gondola in St. Anton that gets lifted at the base station from ground level up to a higher exit level on a giant wheel, other than that they did it because they could. Clearly showing off. And it's brilliant.



On a more personal scale, the equipment is a lot of fun. I'm still figuring out what things need to have money spent on them and what don't. For me, the jacket is in the latter category. I made do for years with a big blue raincoat, and have just replaced it with a weatherproof shell from eddie bauer I got on sale over the summer in the US ridiculously cheap. It's not a ski jacket, but it has pockets in all the right places, and keeps the water and wind out. It cost, literally, 1/10th the price of a decent "ski" jacket. Ideally it would be just slightly longer and the sleeve openings would be a bit wider, but other than that it's quite the steal. It's not insulated, which I prefer anyway, as I layer depending on the weather.


Ski pants seem worth the price, up to a point. I had a decent pair of boarding pants that took me through boarding and then skiing but finally had to be retired. Now I've moved on to a nice pair of salomon ski pants that are very comfortable and so far fitting the bill perfectly. There may be bargains at the cheap end of the market, but most of what I looked at in the lower price range seemed flimsy and/or shoddy. In the middle of the market there are a lot of choices that look quite good, quality-wise. Of course, there are ludicrously expensive options as well. Yes, the £400 ski pants seem very nice, but until I'm spending 15+ weeks per year skiing, they are not worth it.

Socks: definitely worth it. I love falke socks. For the torso, I usually go with a cotton t-shirt to start. An entire generation of recreational athletes, at least in the US, has been convinced by successful marketing campaigns that wearing cotton during anything strenuous will result in certain hypothermia or death by heat stroke, or possibly both, and that only "technical" fabrics are acceptable. I wear cotton year-round for all sorts of things and despite this shocking display of risk-taking have yet to suffer calamity. On top of that, I do upgrade to merino wool, in particular I've found the icebreaker stuff to be excellent, and worth the money. One or two layers of wool in between the cotton and the outer jacket handles a broad range of winter coldness as long as my extremities are warm. The helmet works well until it gets really cold, at with point a skullcap or a facemask with hood works great under the helmet. I also wear wool leggings if it's really cold.

Gloves I'm undecided on. Cheap gloves seem to work great for day 1, then are miserable to try to put on the next morning. But gloves can lead a hard life. I suspect the middle of the market is the place to go here. With goggles I think fit is the important thing. I'm a little skeptical of the various anti-fog claims of some types of goggles. Some people have the ability to fog up any goggles, regardless, while others' remain clear no matter what. I've broken a lot of goggles though, mostly when snowboarding and falling on my face, hard, so I still have a vestigial reluctance to spend a lot of money on them. They don't seem to last long in any case.

Helmets: I wear one all the time. It won't save me from catastrophic decceleration into a tree or a boulder, but it will keep my skull from getting sliced open under the edge of the idiot boarder or skiier who's out of control. And it keeps my head warm, and vents well when it gets warmer. Definitely worth the money on a comfortable one that fits well.

Boots: the first best upgrade from rental gear, even before skis. Makes a huge difference in comfort. Fit is far more important than brand. Skis are the next best upgrade. It's been great skiing on my own skis and not having to get used to a new kind every trip. I look forward to outgrowing them and needing new ones.

8 comments:

CAMdesigns of California said...

Beautiful photos, wow.

KnuckleSplitter said...

Nice post. I disagree with you on the cotton thing. As much as I sweat even on just a good powder day at the resort, there is no way I would wear anything cotton skiing/riding. Not only is the wetness uncomfortable, but when the exertion stops then it gets really cold. It's not just marketing hype. When cotton gets wet it loses most of its insulating ability, whereas wool, polypropylene, etc. do not. I also spend quite a bit of time in the backcountry on a split board, even multi-day trips where I camp on snow above 10k'. If I did that in cotton I would be miserable at best but more likely dead.

pyker said...

Charity-- thanks!

Matt-- my wife likes silk as base layer. I sweat a lot, but never mind the cotton. Then again I don't have to sleep in it at the end of the day.

zim said...

i love when engineers strut it. and agreed on the photos!

JustJoeP said...

"There's no real explanation " .... but there is. The vertical drive wheels make the bearings and drive axle supporting it much more straight forward in a vertical wheel orientation than in the over-hung horizontal application. Though I am not a ski lift designer, I can see the advantages of vertical orientation IF you have enough room (there's not a large sheer mountain face a few meters away from the end of the lift) to install one.

In the horizontal orientation, wherein the car could just "go along for the ride" at the turn arounds, the designer has to negotiate gravity, tensioning, side-loading, and a by-pass mechanism for loading and disgorging passengers. It's also inherently less safe, as the NEXT car is COMING, soon, and loading and unloading must maintain a rhythm.

In the vertical configuration, side loading due to gravity is greatly reduced (interpret as wind loads only), the large bearings needed for the tensioning are already significant, and support & driving of the shaft are tremendously simplified. The unloading queue can have a "magazine" / staggering effect and when done correctly, can be inherently safer from a time management stand point.

Also, Germanic speaking countries LOVE to demonstrate skillful technology. Many of the highest quality machine tools in the world are German. The cleanest steel mill I've ever visited (of the 14 I have seen globally) was Austrian. The least smelly sewage treatment plant also Austrian. The Panzerkampfwagen (Tiger tank) was decades ahead of any contemporary tank long before WWII started. The examples are legion. An efficient and advanced ski lift is another opportunity to show case such skills.

pyker said...

I guess I didn't explain the St. Anton fancy lift very well. It's not a question of vertical pully wheels for the drive mechanism (they are horizontal because, I assume, the downhill and uphill cars are next to each other, not one on top of another), what I'm talking about is that the cars come in at (let's call it) cable level, then, just to show off, each car gets detached, gently lowered one level on giant wheels, trundled around for loading, gently hoisted back up to cable level on another wheel, then picked up by the drive mechanism and on their merry way. The photos are of the super-cool lowering and lifting mechanisms, not the cable drive system.

KnuckleSplitter said...

I started winter sports relatively late also - in my late twenties. I had the opposite experience as you though. I tried skiing and never liked it much, but I was hooked on snowboarding the first time I tried it and haven't skied since.

JustJoeP said...

I see Ron - "because they could" makes sense. ...but it is also perhaps somewhat safer, I think, to have all the loading and unloading and queuing on a separate level, where civilians are, and have the ouvirer up top, watching the mechanical transfers. Complexity goes up in the vertical transfer, but the Suisse, Germans, and Austrians never seem to be daunted by mechanical complexity. Look at the damn watches from 200 years ago, for example.