25 October 2009

Pageants == Creepy

A couple of weeks ago I spent a night in the Sheraton Gateway Hotel near the Atlanta airport. After 10pm one night, and the next morning as well, I encountered young girls, approx age 5-9, running around with full and heavy makeup on. Mums were tromping in tow with plastic containers filled with sparkly outfits. I assume it was some sort of pageanty thing. It was deeply unsettling. Is this a weird southern thing, or a weird american thing, or just a weird subculture?

3 comments:

dr. desert flower said...

Weird subculture AND a southern thing. One of the many social aspects of the south that really bothered me.

pyker said...

Fathers were conspicuously absent. Was that a coincidence, or is this almost exclusively a mother-driven perversion of their daughters?

JustJoeP said...

I think the majority is mother driven, vicariously through their progeny. I suspect the fathers were off elsewhere, drinking. Very creepy.