25 October 2009

Chevy Aveo

I had the misfortune to rent one. Based on the relatively decent rankings on edmunds, I'd say American expectations of small cars are completely out of whack. It was crap. Handled poorly, slow, worryingly mushy brakes. How could anyone think it's fun to drive? Cheap inside and out, fairly expansive dashboard for no apparent reason. The only pluses: it's cute, and the mileage, for an american petrol car, was not bad. But why anyone would buy this is a mystery to me. Small Fords or VWs are miles better. A Fiat 500 puts it to shame. I'd take my beaten-up, 8-yr-old A2 over a new Aveo any day.

3 comments:

zim said...

your brake comment reminds me of that Chevy i rented earlier this year. i can't believe people put up with that kind of braking "performance."

i was driving in absolute fear.

pyker said...

Yes, I was in a lot of hills, and my longest day of driving it was raining the whole time. Brakes were poor in the best of conditions. Very scary.

JustJoeP said...

Lowered Expecta-a-ations