30 March 2009

He-She

The early-80s film Valley Girl had the laughable ad/poem:
She's cool.
He's hot.
She's from the valley.
He's not.


Fortunately, this flavor of tagline genius went out of style for a quarter century, but this morning I saw a bus ad for Duplicity that said something along the lines of:
She's ex-CIA.
He's ex-MI6.
Together they are [doing something that doesn't rhyme at all]
The He-She guy is back!! I was elated. [I admit I am easily amused during my commutes. Also in general.] I have become convinced it's the same guy who wrote the poster copy for Valley Girl. He'd been living as a recluse in Idaho... until they brought him back. Out of pity or respect for the elderly, no one asked if it maybe should rhyme a little, and they just went with the non-catchy, abbreviated limerick of a bus ad.

4 comments:

zim said...

why didn't Deborah Foreman catch on? and why didn't Dana Wheeler-Nicholson (from Fletch) catch on either?

btw: Valley Girl (2011)

Rick said...

Dunno the answers to zim's questions, but I do recall a whole meme.trope/whatever in high school that involved our filling in the blanks thus:

She's [n]
He's [m]
She's [something something]
He's [something else that pointedly does NOT rhyme with m]

Rick said...

I'm thinking "together they're trying hard to be like Mark E. Smith and Brix".

But that's just me.

pyker said...

She's ex-CIA
He's ex-MI6
She kills with shivs
He uses bricks

Now that would have made a better movie.