06 February 2009

Gaiman

I was disappointed to see the burtonesque stop-motion treatment was to be used for the Coraline adaption. There's a smoothness to the whole thing I don't like. It's not the matte accessibility of Wallace & Gromit, but rather a glossy standoffishness. To me this means the movie won't pull you into its own world (as the book very effectively and creepily does), but instead presents you something to be looked at and admired. Ooh-ed and aah-ed over. ("Hey, look how hard we worked at this!") Thus it fails to deliver the true engrossing pleasure of an old-school fairy tale. Just as I suspected, I've started to see reviews praising how beautiful and inventive it is. I am rolling my eyes. But maybe I'm wrong. The book I do recommend.

Even better is The Graveyard Book, probably Gaiman's best. (Although if you haven't read the Sandman series in total, you're missing an essential part of the canon and should go get it, immediately, and pick up some Alan Moore while you're at it if you've been slacking on that front, too.) It's a quick and very satisfying read -- tightly crafted story expertly told.

Other Gaiman books:
  • Neverwhere: book adapted from his teleplay of same. If you like London, it's a very fun read, otherwise missable. Clearly still getting his prose legs under him at this point.
  • Stardust: I love this book. Very much an affectionate homage of sorts to Lord Dunsany. (The movie was good, too, but I had low expectations going in. Except for the big stupid showdown fight at the end, it was fairly true to the spirit of the book, dumbed down less than I expected.)
  • American Gods: Neil impressively hitting his stride here. Not one I'll cherish and re-read, but definitely recommended.
  • Anansi Boys: Pants. Give it a miss. Weak effort.
  • Good Omens: getting some early prose chops in with Terry Pratchett as your co-author? nice! If you haven't read it, this is one of the all-time greats of impulsive airport bookstore purchases for a long flight.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I still haven't read most of these, and am embarrased to say have not yet read Alan Moore

pyker said...

Pick up V for Vendetta. Also read Watchmen before the movie. League of Extraordinary Gentleman, Vol 1 (vol 2 is weak) is not in the same, er, league as V or Watchmen, but is really fun, and if you've had the misfortune of seeing the movie adaptation, you may be astonished at how vast the quality gulf is between that and this.

Unknown said...

lol - i was just going to ask you what you recommended. I am going to the comic store in the next few days and will pick them up.

is the watchmen good?