01 February 2009

Cigars

I now get cigars. Previous experience was pretty much limited to buying a convenience-store cigar in the middle of a bender, smoking it like a cigarette to simultaneously coat my respiratory tract with asphalt and carpet-bomb my brain with a megadose of mil-spec nicotine. In addition to a temporary boost of peppiness, this also generated an order-of-magnitude hangover multiplier, which was a naturally limiting factor.

But not long ago I went to a cigar bar with some good friends and enjoyed a good cigar (Macanudo Gold Label Shakespeare, a starter). Took about an hour to smoke it. Conversation and regular, but not hurried, puffs. It was relaxing, indulgent, surprisingly pleasant and social, and very civilized. I recommend it.

6 comments:

Rick said...

Was it the wuality of the cigar, the quality of the cocktails, or the quality of the company? This is why the social sciences will never be sciences....

Rick said...

Check. Typos. Before. Posting.

pyker said...

Wu-ality could be a good word. Has the Wu-Tang Clan already trademarked it?

JJ said...

I like wu-ality, also. I'm not sure I have the attention span necessary for a cigar. Let's start with the cigarettes.

JustJoeP said...

I don't have the lack of histimines for them, but 'chacun ses merde'. I'd never be able ot drag Dr. Desert Flower into a cigar bar, she has not the lung capacity. I do love the "mil spec nicotine" reference.

pyker said...

I don't understand the histamine reference, although antihistamines + booze + cigar would make for an interesting club theme. No doubt outlawed after the first few fatalities.

Club Macanudo in New York was well-ventilated. While the scent of cigars was strong stepping in, the smoke wasn't at all. Which is as it should be. Ventilation is a solvable problem. We have the technology!