28 February 2008

heavy fingers

I learned to type nearly 30 years ago, on manual typewriters. Years ago I got over the violent assault on lightweight computer keyboards that is practiced by those used to having a direct correlation between input force of finger impact input and legibility of output. However, while I know that two spaces after a period have not been needed for quite a while in the modern era of typsetting, I have not been able to adapt. It just happens automatically. It hasn't mattered until now, since blogspot doesn't correctly handle the extra whitespace. Which drives me crazy, so I have to go back over each post and remove extra spaces. I am curious to see if I will ever adapt.

1 comment:

JustJoeP said...

when I used to work in an office environment with others, my colleagues would say things like "I feel sorry for Joe's key board" and "oh no, call the IT support guys, Joe's singing Polish Christmas Carols again" (which I would do if particularly stressed, instead of cussing). Seems when excited / irritated / energentic / annoyed the Dorkus JoePimus tends to hammer away at modern keyboards. Don't feel bad about about the extra spaces. I think they are still good things, even if they are anachronistic. And in the last 20 years, I have only caused 2 keyboards to malfunction, and that was through shooter-on-line-games over-using the space bars.