12 June 2013

Pre-Brisket Meat Marshalling: East London Steak Co.

I love my local butcher, but I really liked the looks of ELSco. The perfect excuse for an order came when I picked a Brisket Day: the day I finally put a full brisket into the smoker. It's very difficult to get packer cut brisket from butchers here. Mostly you get rolled brisket. It's either a different cut or just the flat of the same cut, I can't quite tell which, but in either case, it's wrong.

But The East London Steak Co. offer a genuine packer-cut brisket. As I always say, anything worth doing is worth overdoing, so I also ordered some beef sausages, some mahoosive hot dogs, and a few big hunks of short ribs. Deliver was next morning around 6am.

The hot dogs were great. I grilled those on brisket day (anything worth doing, etc.) Not just "good for London" -- hot dogs here are mostly awful, the only passable ones I've found in a grocery store have been Gilbert's Kosher -- but good even for the US. And the brisket? More on that later.

beautifully marbled shortrib

No comments: