26 August 2011

Gulf Coast SPFathon

I get sunburned if a single photon lands on exposed skin. Spending a week at 30 degrees north in August not the best environment for me, but I didn't want to spend all day indoors, so I tried an extensive range of sunscreens. Least favorite: nutragena spf 110. I forget the exact name, but it was supposedly sweatproof, but that was not my experience. Coppertone Sport Ultra Sweatproof lotion was the reliable go-to product -- worked well even in the water and sweating. Generally I used spf 50. They make an spf100 spray that is basically like coating yourself with a layer of polyurethane or really good furniture wax. Weird and hard to get off later, but seemed to work ok. My overall favourite, although not nearly as cost effective as the coppertone sport, was Bullfrog Marathon Mist Continuous Spray (spf 50). I would go through half a bottle in a single application, but it went on quick and easy, worked well, felt ok going on and smelled ok as well. Expensive but good.

1 comment:

JustJoeP said...

Coppertone Sport Ultra Sweatproof is good stuff. We slather it on here, and it oil slicks the pool.

I've had the same experience with the spray on stuff - akin to furniture polish.

Always good to avoid skin cancer.