08 November 2010

chicken wings

After occasional cravings, I finally took a stab at making buffalo-style chicken wings. Turned out to be incredibly easy. Prepping the wings is simple if you've got a knife with a bit of rigor to it. I went with baking instead of frying. They'd probably be a bit better fried, this worked great. Overcook on a rack in a roasting tin (I went 200C for maybe an hour or so), most skinful side up, and finish under the broiler to really crisp up the skins if they're not crackling enough for you. Toss hot in large bowl with sauce, which, simply enough, is a tabasco, melted butter, and white wine vinegar mix at (officially) 5:4:1 ratio. Unofficially I just mix roughly equal parts of melted butter and tabasco and then put a splash of vinegar in. Mix then toss (don't skimp!) piping-hot wings in a bowl, serve, eat.

1 comment:

JustJoeP said...

There is an Italian Pizzeria next to the FOOD CITY grocery store, a mile from my house. They sell wings by the dozen, at reasonable prices. They're Eastern European, at the edge of the Barrio. When I asked them if they were Russian, the rough looking one LOOKED at me.. and said.. "are you Ruskie? Polish? what are you?" I confirmed my Polish ethnicity,and he put a fist to his chest, and said "We Are Albanian!"

My son was there with me, and we had JUST watched "Taken", (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0936501/synopsis .. a must watch for Fathers with daughters) the day before, where the Albanians were human traffickers in Paris. The chest pounding guy looked like he would have been at home in the gang from Albania.

Good wings though =)