07 September 2010

Scanner!

I ponied up for a good one, a Fujitsu S1500M. Despite free delivery from the UK version of buy.com, it arrived less than 20 hours after ordering(!), and I've set it up and started scanning. I still expect devices such as this to be rickety and error-prone. So far, it is vastly exceeding my expectations. It is slick, quick, and does pretty much exactly what I want it to do. And I've used the included software to set my default profile to one that automatically shunts scans directly into evernote. So I put a doc in the feed try, press one button, and a few seconds later I have a new pdf in evernote. I've scanned some old school reports from the boys, one of which was A4 on thick stock, color printing, comb bound. After pulling out of the binding, I dropped it in and pushed the futuristic blue scan button. It automagically performed dual-sided scanning. Another was on thin A5, stapled, with some bent corners. No problem. So far, it just works.

Virtual document archival is a problem I've been pondering for years. Seems like a good time to be able to sort it finally.

3 comments:

JJ said...

It is super cool. I'm loving evernote, too.

Rick said...

I still don't see a use for Evernote in my life. My HP all-in-one seems to work fine as a scanner, FWIW.

What I hate is people/institutions who/that insist on faxes. Whaaaa?

pyker said...

Rick, it's ok, I won't demand you start using evernote.

I, too, find the continued existence of faxing somewhat enraging.