02 May 2010

Ha Ha Tonka

Purely by chance, saw Missouri band Ha Ha Tonka at the Doug Fir in Portland last month. Fantastic show. I was really taken with the band. Bit like Jayhawks crossed with East of Eden, maybe a touch of Uncle Tupelo. They can dial up the big rock as well as the harmonies and the wide-open spaces. Unfortunately their studio work doesn't fully do justice to their energy and dynamic range [I may, fundamentally, simply want Steve Albini to record every band I like], but the CDs are still worth a listen. Heartily recommend catching them live if you can.

1 comment:

JustJoeP said...

watching St Nick ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWhD1RYmkhQ) I can see the influence mixture you've stated to be quite accurate. "Buckle of the Bible Belt" - I love that album title! The bearded one could be a twin to Traci's little brother, sans tattooage.