25 July 2009

Bad Dumbledore

Richard Harris is a hard act to follow, but still, Michael Gambon's Dumbledore has really annoyed me. I haven't seen the latest yet, but so far he's been the odd man out of the otherwise stellar casting job. I've enjoyed his work in many other films, but as Dumbledore he comes across as twitchy and grouchy, displaying none of the cool, calm, collected ass-kicker plus elfin mischievousness of the book character. Peter O'Toole would've done a nice turn I think. But I think the ultimate Dumbledore would've been Cate Blanchett. The sparkle in the eyes, the secret smile, yet someone to be afraid of being on the wrong side of. When I remake the whole thing as a 70-hour TV series, she's my Dumbledore.

3 comments:

harveyne said...

Admit it, you're really just fixating on Galadriel because your new shoes make you look like a hobbit.

pyker said...

I admit that after second breakfast I could do with a bit of pipeweed.

pyker said...

The funniest Dumbledore would be J.K. Simmons. I bet he could pull it off, too. I'm laughing just thinking of it.